Wednesday 11 December 2019

Beyond Coincidence?

I had a bad night and did not get to sleep until around 0700 hrs. I was woken by the recycling crew once more throwing my recycle bins against the gate/fence -I appear to be the only householder getting such selective special treatment.

Anyway, I went back to sleep and then the door bell rang.  When I write "rang" I mean it rang in the sense that the person doing the ringing appeared to have no idea that you did not have to repeatedly ring it until the door opens.

I was tired and my head was throbbing and my eyes were bleary. There stood two scruffy dressed individuals -one with a Bristol Council logo on his top.  "Here to clear your guttering" he told me while playing with his phone. I pointed out that a month ago I cleared the gutterings as no one had called as promised. "Done it have you? Looks chock-a-block"  I told him again I had done the guttering but like some very annoying door-to-door salesman he would not let it go.  I explained that I was NOT going to stand on a cold wet doorstep. It was done. "Mind if I make a phone call?" he asked -I pointed out he could use his phone whenever he wanted and the matter was done with. He started his talk again and I told him to "Take it up with the council" and shut the door.

I got back to bed feeling very unwell and then the phone began to ring continuously. I got up and answered the phone "Hello. I'm calling from Bristol City Council repairs" (the ones that DO NOT talk to you on the phone "unless its an emergency"). She told me "We've got two plumbers outside your house---"  at this point I interrupted her.

I explained about having had a phone call before (she sounded exactly the same as that caller) and explaining that I had already cleared the guttering and that I was offered three dates -I declined all three and was told the 'repair' would be cancelled.  I also explained that I had had a bad night been woken by the "plumbers" and then woken by her. FOUR times she asked if I wanted the guttering done as the plumber stated it was "chock-a-block". Fourth time I told her the conversation was over and she cancelled the non-existent appointment.

Here is the thing, like the council surveyor who came to look at the roof and attic and brought no ladder or torch the two plumbers were just standing there -no equipment. Walking along the lane from my house later I looked back and could not see into my under roof guttering and I am a good 3 inches taller than the plumber. From my gateway I could not see upwards and then downwards into my guttering.  From my doorstep looking up at the guttering (and I am a full 3 inches taller than the plumber was) I could not see up and over then downward into the guttering. How could he see that it was "chock-a-block" full of debris?  The answer is that he could not.

Why turn up at a house where there is an alleged guttering clearage arranged without even the most basic equipment to check guttering or do the work?

I posted about the City Council and problems and then I got messed about the very next day by the Council.  Coincidence.  A second time I posted and the Council got in touch next day with pointless messing around. Coincidence. I post yesterday and today I get the council plumbers calling about a non existent appointment. Three times is beyond coincidence.

I did, incidentally, mention to the council caller that all I was expecting was a roofer to look at the gap in my roof. No idea what I was talking about.  No interest.

Let's see what happens tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment